Morgan and Liz

Submitted by Liz Weber

This is the story of Morgan's traumatic wound and the laminitis that almost killed her....


 (Note that some images are graphic in nature. View at your own risk.)



I couldn't help it. The tears of relief just started to roll down my face when Dr. Floyd showed us the in-stall camera & monitor she would be using to watch Morgan for the first 24 hours to gauge her condition and ensure she didn't injure herself further. That was all I needed to see of the facilities to know we'd found the right place for Morgan.





Morgan had ripped open her left front leg when she spooked while being tied to our hitching post. She'd pulled the post down, the lead line didn't release, and Morgan ran about ½ mile dragging the hitching post as it cut into her leg. The post had made hamburger out of her leg.   (left, original wound photo)









After four hours of surgery her leg was put together as best it could be (left, post op photo). However, after two months of taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back, the surgeon told me – with tears in her eyes – there was nothing else they could do for her.








Her injured leg was healing, however she'd foundered and was now going to lose her right front hoof; she only had two "good" legs now and that doesn't work for a horse. The surgeon said, "However, there is one place that may be able to help her..." The rest, as they say, is history.




The day we transported Morgan to Serenity Equine, Dr. Floyd checked on our progress regularly during the four hour trip to ensure all was going well. As soon as the trailer pulled up to the hospital, Dr. Floyd and her team converged on the trailer; assessing Morgan in the trailer, determining the safest and easiest way for Morgan to step out of the trailer, etc. 

As Dr. Floyd and some of her team worked with Morgan, Trish put her arm around me and said, "Come with me and let's talk about Morgan's diet." After I shared with her what we fed Morgan, Trish replied, "That's good. However, we're going to change that. She needs a different diet to help her heal." Amazing.






During the first week, Dr. Floyd called me each evening to give me an update on Morgan. As time went on, daily email updates kept me abreast of Morgan's progress.  From her first 24 hours at Serenity when she was simply unloaded, given a bath, put into a sleazy to help protect her bed sores, and allowed to do nothing but eat and sleep.







Dr. Floyd continued to provide me with regular updates.






During our weekly visits, the staff would adjust their treatment schedule to ensure we could observe their work with Morgan.....




   Morgan_Webber_2009_3_copy well as track her healing wounds and her regained mobility.







Through a rough initial few weeks of a tenotomy, quarantine, the slow process of realigning the angles of her leg brace, and then the months of watching Morgan's foundered right front hoof re-grow (see photo left), Dr. Floyd's holistic approach to equine care came through time and again. With the help of the slurpies Morgan was given to drink while she laid prone, the various creams and leg wraps Dr. Floyd invented, as well as the natural hoof trims, and strength building exercises – it all worked.  Morgan was walking again -- in fact, Morgan could trot again!





Eleven months later, Morgan came home.